Being an adult can get really boring. I am so busy with work during the week that by the time the weekend gets here, I don’t want to do anything. When I am actually in the mood to do something, my friends are all busy or we can’t think of anything to do so we wind up doing nothing.
This coming year I want to change that.
I want to try something new, so this past week I created a list of 52 things that I’ve always meant to do, but haven’t; one for each week of 2014. I thought it would be fun to complete them and keep a journal of how each one turned out, posting some of them in my blog. Next year should never be boring or uneventful.
I can’t wait to see what 2014 brings!
52 Things to do in 2014 (in no particular order):
- Paint a canvas with Glitter.
Close your eyes and point to a spot on a local map. Go there and take a picture.
- Host a fancy dinner party.
- Write hand-written letters to all your friends and mail them.
- Design a dress and sew it.
- Visit three local independent bookstores and purchase a book at each one.
- Bake cookies and surprise a friend with them.
- Write chapter 1 of a novel.
- Get a massage followed by a manicure and pedicure.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Babysit a friend’s kids for a whole day so that they can have a “Date Day.”
- Take a 1-day road trip to somewhere you’ve never been.
- Go through your room and simplify. Get rid of as much as you can and donate it all to a charity.
- Host a Gatsby Party.
- Buy a disposable camera and take friends on a picnic. Use up the whole camera.
- Go on a Daddy-Daughter Date.
- Find an old world map and mark everywhere you’ve been with cute pins.
- Buy film for your Diana camera and go to Dallas with your girlfriends to do a photoshoot.
- Go through your whole wardrobe and create as many outfits as you can. Take a picture of each one.
- Dress up and go to a movie by yourself. See what YOU want to see.
- Creatively paint a flower pot and buy a plant for it. Name it and try to keep it alive.
- Have a Mother-Daughter Day.
- Find a famous painting that you love and try to replicate it.
- Upcycle something that you own.
- Host a book exchange.
- Go to the top of one of the tallest buildings in the city and take pictures.
- Make your own glitter heels.
- Whiten your teeth.
- Have an old movie classics marathon.
- Go to Six Flags.
- Do something that tourists do in your hometown that you’ve never done.
- Go on a hike.
- Go to the park by yourself. People watch, journal, do a devotional and have lunch.
- Pick a random person in the phone book and write them an anonymous letter saying how much God loves them.
- Go to a wedding. If you don’t have one to go to, find one.
- Dress up like Barbie and have a Girl’s Night Out.
- Hand wash and detail your car.
- Attend a local fashion show.
- Make a flower box garden for the patio.
- Take a photography class.
- Go to the botanical gardens and take pictures of all the beauty.
- Visit someone you haven’t seen in a while.
- Stay in your pajamas all day.
- Go see a local band play.
- Face a fear.
- Try coffee at a coffeehouse you’ve never been to.
- Make a kite and fly it.
- Write a letter to your favorite Disney Princess.
- Go to a drive-in movie.
- Get sushi to-go and have a night in.
- Find or create the tackiest sweater you can and make it a tacky outfit day. (December)
- Make a fancy gingerbread house. (December)
What are your plans for 2014?